The consequences of drinking and driving are tougher in some states than in others. Officials in Virginia maintain harsh standards when it comes to DUI. There is a pamphlet produced by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) that describes state DUI laws, titled “Virginia is TOUGH on drunk and drugged drivers,” which sends a clear message to the public. However, the minimum blood alcohol content for DUI is .08 percent, as in many states.
Hiring the Right Attorney
If you are facing an impaired driving charge, whether for alcohol or drugs, your first step should be consulting with a DUI criminal defense lawyer. At The Wilson Law Firm, we focus 100 percent on DUI defense. We understand drinking and driving laws in Virginia, and we know how to protect your rights.
Our firm’s founder, Attorney T. Kevin Wilson, has a successful track record of defending clients charged with DUI and other related charges. His experience and credentials include:
- Certified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Member of the National College for DUI Defense (NCDD)
- Part-time instructor for the Criminal Justice Training Academy in Prince William County
- Requested to serve as the Special Prosecutor by the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Trained as an Operator on the Intoximeter ECIR II breath machine, the Intoxilyzer 5000, S-D2, S-D5, 400 and 8000
Attorney Patrick C. Cummings is equally experienced, and brings a different set of skills to the table. His experience and credentials include:
- Licensed to practice in New Jersey (1994), Maryland (1995), and Virginia (2004)
- Focused on DUI laws in Virginia since 2004
- Member of the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD)
- Trained in National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFSTs), breath alcohol forensic analysis and Intoxilyzer 5000
- Aggressive Defense for Tough Laws
Considering once again the brochure from the Virginia DMV, the titles of each of the pamphlet’s sections provides information that seems designed to deter someone from drinking. But if you’ve already been arrested, you will need to understand your next step regarding the charge you face. The titles of each of the pamphlet’s sections also provide a synopsis of services we offer here at The Wilson Law Firm, including:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs
- Open container
- Administrative License Suspension (ALS)
- Breath test refusal
- Equal penalties for under age 21
- Driving on a suspended license
- Criminal record
- Transporting children while under the influence
- Ignition interlock device
- Alcohol education treatment program
- Vehicle impoundment
- Misrepresentation of age
- Boating and hunting under the influence
- Penalties for persons under age 21 for purchasing, possessing, or consuming alcohol
- Building a Defense Strategy
Depending on the circumstances of your case, different defenses will be raised by your attorney. There may be problems concerning the traffic stop that led to your DWI, the administration of field sobriety tests, and/or blood alcohol content testing. The police may have failed to follow correct procedures during your arrest.
An investigation process will be required to determine the best strategy in successfully resolving your case. Your attorney will need to interview you about the arrest, including events that occurred leading up to your traffic stop. Witnesses will also need to be thoroughly questioned.
With the help of an experienced attorney, you may be eligible to have your charges dismissed or be offered a mitigated penalty and found guilty of a lesser charge. Otherwise you will risk taking the full penalty of your DUI charge, which could negatively affect your employment opportunities and driving privileges.
Contact Our Law Firm
Because there are several potential ramifications to a drunk driving charge or conviction, whether it is your first arrest or not, it is very important to consult with an experienced DUI attorney as soon as possible after your arrest.
Charged with a DUI? Don’t understand DUI Laws in Virginia? Let our team of experts help you. Contact the Wilson Law Firm today for expert counsel. Our law firm offers confidential consultations free of charge, with 24 hour service, seven days a week.