You face harsh punishments and long-term consequences if you are convicted of a crime in Virginia. However, you may wonder if hiring a lawyer is worthwhile if you know you are guilty.
You should always retain an experienced criminal defense attorney if you have been charged with a criminal offense. You have a right to a lawyer and may have strong defenses that could help you get the charges dismissed or reduced to a less serious offense—even if you believe you are guilty.
Benefits of Retaining an Attorney When You Know You Are Guilty
Hiring a lawyer can be highly beneficial to you even if you plan to plead guilty to the charges you face. Some reasons you want an attorney to represent you include the following:
- Understand the charges and penalties. Your lawyer will explain the charges against you and the penalties you face if you are convicted. You need to understand this to know what to expect and make the right decisions in your criminal case.
- Raise your defenses. Even if you committed a crime, you could have strong defenses that you can use to fight the charges. Your attorney can explain your defenses to you and raise them in your criminal case to defend you to help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
- Challenge the prosecutor’s evidence. The prosecutor must present evidence in your criminal case that proves your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Your lawyer can raise doubts about the prosecutor’s evidence and may file a motion to suppress evidence against you if the police engaged in misconduct or your constitutional rights were violated.
- Negotiate a plea agreement. If you and your attorney decide it is in your best interests to plead guilty, they may be able to negotiate a favorable plea bargain with the prosecutor where the charges are reduced to a less serious offense, and your sentence is reduced.
- Seek alternatives to prison. Your lawyer will explore alternative sentencing options to keep you out of jail or prison. These can include being placed on probation or placed under house arrest.
Are you facing criminal charges in Virginia? Our skilled criminal defense lawyers will mount an aggressive defense strategy for you. Call our Manassas office at 888-DUI-LWYR, or fill out our online form today to schedule your free initial consultation today to learn more about how we can assist you.