Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: (888) DUI-LWYR
Phone: (703) 361-6100
The Wilson Law Firm

Is there anything I can do to make it more likely that a Virginia court will grant me a restricted license / privilege to drive after being convicted of a DUI / DWI?

Yes.  There are several things you can do to put yourself in the best position for success.  First and foremost, do not get in any additional trouble while your case is pending.  Enroll in the Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP) as soon as possible after your arrest and ask that they do a Pre-Court Evaluation.  Consider attending AA meetings and abstaining from alcohol use completely.  Gather letters from employers, professional colleagues and others who can speak to your level of trustworthiness and responsibility aside from this unfortunate incident.  Have written verification of employment and exact addresses to every location you will be requesting permission to drive.  And since many courts will not issue a restricted license until the fine and court costs are paid in full, you should come to court prepared to pay the fine and court costs in full.

Live Chat