Driving when your driver’s license is suspended is illegal in Virginia. You could be arrested and face a jail sentence, fine, and more if the police catch you driving without a valid license. However, an experienced reckless driving lawyer can help you get the charges dismissed or reduced to a less serious offense by mounting a strong defense and advising you on other helpful actions you can take.
Why Your Driver’s License Could Be Suspended in Virginia
If your driver’s license is suspended, you are not permitted to drive in our commonwealth for any reason, including going to work, doctor’s appointments, or picking up your kids at school. There are many reasons that your driver’s license may be suspended, such as:
- Driving without required auto insurance
- Having too many demerit points on your driving record
- Failing to pay child support
- Being convicted of reckless driving
- Being convicted of DUI or DWI
- Committing voluntary or involuntary manslaughter while driving or while driving when intoxicated
- Providing a minor or intoxicated person with alcohol
Penalties for Driving on a Suspended License in Virginia
Under Virginia Code § 18.2-301, driving while your driver’s license is suspended is a Class 1 misdemeanor. You could be punished as follows:
- You could be sentenced to up to 12 months in jail.
- You could be ordered to pay a fine of $2,500 or less.
- If this conviction is for a third or subsequent offense within 10 years, you could be sentenced to a mandatory 10-day jail sentence as well as the penalties listed above.
- Your motor vehicle could be impounded for up to 90 days.
- Your driver’s license could be suspended for an additional period equal to the original suspension.
- You would have to pay additional fees to have your driver’s license restored and to obtain the return of your vehicle.
- You would have a permanent criminal record.
Were you arrested for driving on a suspended license? Do you want to avoid the harsh penalties you face? Call our Manassas office or start a live chat to schedule a free consultation to learn how we can aggressively defend you and help you achieve the best possible outcome given your situation.