Helen Chong stands apart in the field of criminal defense attorneys by having prior experience in the criminal justice system as a Magistrate in Prince William County. As a former Magistrate, Ms. Chong granted or denied arrest and search warrants, made bail determinations by assessing the safety and flight risks of individuals, and applied her training in mental health and domestic violence when interviewing citizens seeking judicial orders for mental health evaluations or emergency protective orders.
Ms. Chong is a highly-skilled litigator and clients should feel confident that she will be a staunch and formidable protector of their rights. Her past experience at one of South Korea’s largest conglomerates and training in arbitration has equipped her with unique negotiating skills.
Communicating with clients is important to Ms. Chong. Born and raised in Northern Virginia by immigrant parents, Ms. Chong grew up helping her family as an interpreter and advocate. Ms. Chong's upbringing taught her the significance of being a compassionate attorney and to serve as the strong voice for her clients in court.
Her diligent work ethic and commitment to excellence are strengths she developed from years of practicing martial arts. Clients can rest assured that Ms. Chong will bring this same competitive spirit to the courtroom and will fight for them relentlessly, regardless of the odds stacked against them.
Ms. Chong is a well-respected attorney at the national and state level and received several honors. Ms. Chong was named the Young Lawyer of the Year, which is the most prestigious honor the Virginia State Bar awards a young attorney. She applies the same level of dedication to her clients that earned her this prestigious award.
• Virginia State Bar Young Lawyer of the Year Award 2015
• Significant Service Award, Children and the Law Commission 2014
• Significant Service Award, Anti-bullying Initiative 2013
• American Bar Association Public Service Project Subgrant Award 2016
• American Bar Association Comprehensive Award of Achievement 2013
• Avvo Top Attorney Criminal Defense “Superb, 10” Rating, 2016
• University of Virginia, B.A.
• George Mason University School of Law, J.D.