Most people don't give a lot of thought to the law until they need help. But, it's important to remember that lawyers generally focus on a few specific areas of the law. This means that the lawyer who drafted your will, handled your cousin's divorce, or helped your friend from college set up his small business is probably not the right person to handle your DUI case.
Questions to Ask Your Lawyer
A lawyer's website can often provide some basic details about his or her background, but you can also use your individual consultation to learn more about qualifications specifically related to handling a DUI charge.
Some questions to ask your lawyer include:
- Where did you attend law school?
- Other than your law degree, do you have any special training or knowledge related to handling DUI cases?
- How long have you practiced law?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to DUI cases?
- How would you describe your typical client?
- How many cases have you handled that were similar to mine?
- How were these cases resolved?
- Do you regularly practice in the courthouse where my case will be handled?
- Have you ever been accused of or sanctioned for professional misconduct?
- Will you be doing the work on my case or will I be communicating with junior associates or paralegals?
As you're evaluating potential options for your legal representation, don't be afraid to walk away if you feel that a lawyer's experience doesn't match your needs. The penalties for a DUI are stiff, so you deserve the best defense possible.
Protect Your Future by Building an Aggressive DUI Defense
T. Kevin Wilson has extensive experience using cutting edge DUI defense strategies. He has completed specialized training in standardized field sobriety testing, breath alcohol testing, blood alcohol testing, and police RADAR/LIDAR in addition to serving as an instructor at Prince William County Criminal Justice Academy covering criminal law, criminal procedure, and constitutional law. Call today to schedule a free, no-obligation case review to discuss your legal options for handling your DUI case.